Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) is responsible for enforcing food service safety and sanitation regulations per Washington Administrative Code 246-215 on WSU property in Whitman County to prevent foodborne illnesses from occurring. Outside of Whitman County, local health departments are responsible for enforcing food safety and sanitation regulations.
EH&S performs the following services in Whitman County:
- Issues Temporary Food Service Permits to WSU groups (student and departments) for events at WSU facilities.
- Routinely inspects food service establishments.
- Investigates complaints and suspected foodborne illnesses.
- Provides training and consultation as needed.
- Reviews plans and specifications for new and remodeled food service facilities.
- Notifies WSU establishments of new regulations, food recalls, and other pertinent information.
- Assists the Whitman County Health Department in issuing operating permits for food establishments
Food Events at WSU Facilities in Whitman County
If you want to have a food event please refer to the following links for guidance, applications, etc.
Please note that Temporary Food Service Permit Applications must be submitted to EH&S no later than 14 days prior to the event, otherwise food cannot be served at the event per WA State Department of Health regulations.
- Food Worker Permits
- Whitman County Health Department
- Washington State Food Safety Program
- Food Workers Manual
- Recalls and Safety Alerts in WA State
- Food Safety Cooperative Extension Service
- FSHN Food Safety
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
WSU Safety Policies and Procedures Manual – Food Safety and Sanitation 6.20 link
Training – Food Worker (handler) Cards
In Whitman County Food Worker (handler) Card classes and exams are conducted by the Whitman County Health Department. Select the link to the right for the class/exam schedule.
Contacts in Whitman County
In Whitman County during regular working hours contact EH&S at 509-335-3041. After hours contact the Facilities Operations dispatcher at 509-335-9000.
For emergencies that occur after hours (lack of water or electricity, sewage backup, fire, etc.) dial 911.
Food Events Outside of Whitman County
Contact your local health department for information, training, etc.