Washington State University

Food Safety

Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) is responsible for enforcing food service safety and sanitation regulations per Washington Administrative Code 246-215 on WSU property in Whitman County to prevent foodborne illnesses from occurring.  Outside of Whitman County, local health departments are responsible for enforcing food safety and sanitation regulations.

EH&S performs the following services in Whitman County:

  • Issues Temporary Food Service Permits to WSU groups (student and departments) for events at WSU facilities.
  • Routinely inspects food service establishments.
  • Investigates complaints and suspected foodborne illnesses.
  • Provides training and consultation as needed.
  • Reviews plans and specifications for new and remodeled food service facilities.
  • Notifies WSU establishments of new regulations, food recalls, and other pertinent information.
  • Assists the Whitman County Health Department in issuing operating permits for food establishments


Food Events at WSU Facilities in Whitman County

If you want to have a food event please refer to the following links for guidance, applications, etc.

Please note that Temporary Food Service Permit Applications must be submitted to EH&S no later than 14 days prior to the event, otherwise food cannot be served at the event per WA State Department of Health regulations.

Other Links


WSU Safety Policies and Procedures Manual – Food Safety and Sanitation 6.20 link

Training – Food Worker (handler) Cards

In Whitman County Food Worker (handler) Card classes and exams are conducted by the Whitman County Health Department.  Select the link to the right for the class/exam schedule.

Contacts in Whitman County

In Whitman County during regular working hours contact EH&S at 509-335-3041.  After hours contact the Facilities Operations dispatcher at 509-335-9000.

For emergencies that occur after hours (lack of water or electricity, sewage backup, fire, etc.) dial 911.

Food Events Outside of Whitman County

Contact your local health department for information, training, etc.