SARS CoV2, the virus causing COVID-19 can be present on surfaces. Although it is possible for people to become infected if they touch those surfaces and then touch their nose, mouth, or eyes the risk of infection is low. The most effective way to prevent infection from surfaces is follow traditional hygiene recommendations and regularly wash your hands or use hand sanitizer.
Although disinfecting a surface before and after use is no longer a requirement or recommendation WSU’s facility staff will ensure surface disinfectant, hand sanitizer and handwashing facilities are readily available. In addition, custodial staff will clean common spaces on a routine basis.
In addition, WSU administration has graciously agreed to fund certain disinfectants and hand sanitizer through the 2021/2022 academic year. If you are in a space not routinely cleaned and stocked by custodial staff you can orders products from University Stores as a $0 item. It is important with limited resources and financial concerns to be prudent in use of these items. This guidance should be used to help determine how many containers are needed for your department or area.
- Common spaces should have hand sanitizer, Alpha HP, and electronic disinfectant. Determine who is responsible for common spaces to avoid multiple people from ordering supplies.
- Don’t order containers just to be a backup, order your supplies as needed. Plan your orders, University Stores will be able to accommodate your orders.
- Return all empties to the drop off bin in your building. (BIN LOCATIONS)
- Classrooms and instructional labs will be maintained by Custodial Services. This includes departmental and general use classroom spaces.
Alpha HP must remain on the surface for at least 5 minutes to disinfect. The following procedure supports safe disinfection:
- No Personal Protective Equipment required with diluted/user Alpha HP concentration
- Clean dusty and dirty surfaces by wiping with soapy water, dirt and dust prevent disinfection
- Spray (not stream) Alpha HP onto all common touched surfaces such as desk tops, door knobs, file cabinets, chairs, etc.
- Allow Alpha HP to sit on surfaces for at least 5 minutes. If possible, allow disinfectant to dry on its own
- Remember to wash your hands with soap and water when you are finished
The 70% alcohol electronic disinfectant must remain in contact with the surface for at least 20 seconds to disinfect. The following procedure promotes safe disinfection while minimizing the risk of damaging electronics:
- If possible, turn off and unplug electronic device
- Apply the electronic disinfectant to a paper towel, wet, but not dripping
- Wipe down all electronic surfaces with wet paper towel, ensure good contact. Apply to all sides of keyboards and computer mice. Throw the paper towel in the garbage.
- Allow the surfaces to dry on their own. Disinfectants must remain in contact with surface (wet) for 20-30 seconds.
- While waiting wash your hands with soap and water