Asbestos Laws To Protect You
You have the right to a safe working environment. In order to ensure you keep yourself and others safe, you should be aware of the laws regarding asbestos:
- The Washington Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) regulates state law regarding asbestos.
- This is accomplished through L&I’s DOSH, the Division of Occupational Safety and Health. DOSH is the state equivalent to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Washington State University also has policies and procedures regarding asbestos. Requirements by other agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) are satisfied by complying with WSU safety policies and procedures and DOSH regulations.
- Employees have a right to know where asbestos is located in their work environment. Any questions about asbestos in your work environment should be directed to the EH&S office at 335-3041. Ask for the asbestos staff.
- The University expects you as an employee to recognize and report potential asbestos hazards in the buildings you occupy.
- Although regulations do not apply to non-work locations, it is a good idea to use safety precautions at home, as well.